I made these Stir-Fried Chicken Thighs last night over mashed potatoes. So good! Tender, flavorful, and quick to make! What’s not to like?!
Sautéed in garlic/tomato sauce and seasoned with earthy flavors of cumin.
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken thighs are amazing for this
- Seasoning: you’ll need some salt, ground black pepper, paprika of your choice, cumin, and some dried parsley flakes (optional). Cumin is the star seasoning in this recipe!
- Tomato: 1 large tomato is all you need. Cut it into quarters, because you’ll be blending it to make sauce.
- Garlic: 2 cloves of garlic to blend with the tomato will add extra flavor!
Can I use canned tomatoes instead?
For sure, you can use canned tomatoes. Use one can of tomatoes and pour it directly onto the chicken, then mince 2 cloves of garlic and stir into the seasoned chicken and tomato mixture. Stir well and make sure to sauté the chicken in the mixture until the tomato sauce has thickened. This will be about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Once thickened, you may need to add a little more seasoning – taste for salt and cumin especially. Add more to taste, if required. Add a small pinch of salt at a time, so as not to over salt.
How to prepare the Stir-Fried Chicken Thighs:
- Prepare the Chicken: remove skin and bones from the chicken thighs, if you didn’t purchase the boneless, skinless thighs. Cut the chicken thighs into quarters.
- Sauté the Chicken: add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Using tongs, place about half of the chicken thighs onto the heated skillet, so as not to overcrowd them. Sauté each side for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the second batch, adding one tablespoon of oil.
- Add seasonings: Transfer the first batch of the chicken back into the skillet with the second batch and add the salt, pepper, paprika, dried parsley (optional), and cumin. Stir well to combine. Stir in half of the fresh cilantro.
- Prepare the sauce: while the chicken is cooking, use a blender to blend together the tomato and garlic cloves. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook the chicken for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and spices to taste, if necessary. Serve warm. Sprinkle with more chopped cilantro, as garnish.
Make your Stir-Fried Chicken Thighs spicy!
If you want to make the chicken thighs with a little kick, which is so good, by the way, add some:
- more ground black pepper for a little extra spice, add small pinch slowly to taste
- spicy paprika instead of regular or smoked paprika
- chili flakes, or red pepper flakes, to taste – watch your spice meter!
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chopped hot peppers
Other chicken recipes:
- Sweet and Savory Stuffed Chicken Quarters
- Maple Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Wings
- Lemongrass Chicken with Bok Choy
- Super Easy Sautéed Chicken Thighs
- Baked Ginger Chicken Drumsticks