I make these Sweet and Savory Stuffed Chicken Quarters quite often. They are not complicated to make and super simple to stuff! Plus, you get meat and a side dish in one. Just add a salad and you have a full meal.
The chicken quarters are stuffed with a delicious sweet and savory rice mixture and baked in the oven. The seasoned skin turns out beautifully browned and so crispy! So good!
The stuffing for the Sweet and Savory Stuffed Chicken Quarters
Our sweet and savory stuffing is made with cooked rice, some corn kernels, and dried cranberries. I also add grated carrot and some chopped onion and celery to the stuffing for extra flavor and aroma!
The dried cranberries add a little bit of the sweet and sour flavor. Together, the combination of flavors tastes amazing. You can even enjoy this stuffing on its own, as a side dish. But, when stuffed under the skin of the chicken and baked in the oven, the stuffing becomes juicy under the crispy skin and the chicken under the stuffing takes on the sweet flavor of the dried cranberries. Yum!
The best rice to use for the stuffing
You can really use any rice you prefer, including brown rice. Just make sure not to overcook the rice, otherwise it will become too mushy. Because rice will be cooking more in the oven, it’s best to undercook the rice a little bit when boiling and before adding it to the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
My go-to rice is parboiled rice. I find the grains are a perfect size, not too thin to overcook.
Can I use raisins instead of dried cranberries?
You can absolutely use raisins instead of dried cranberries, however, I love using dried cranberries because they do add that tart flavor to the rice stuffing and the chicken. It is definitely worth it to use dried cranberries unless you absolutely hate them! 🙂
How to prepare the Sweet and Savory Stuffed Chicken Quarters
Please see the recipe card below for more detailed, step-by-step, directions. But in short, there are a few simple steps.
- Preheat the oven to 425° f and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cook the rice following package instructions )add a little salt to taste)
- While the rice is cooking, rub the chicken leg quarters with seasoning. Make sure to rub the seasoning on the chicken skin and inside the skin.
- Prepare the stuffing: saute the chopped onions, diced celery, and grated carrot. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the cooked rice, the corn kernels, and the dried cranberries. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Stuff the chicken skin with the rice stuffing.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for about 40 minutes and until the skin has become crispy and the internal temperature has reached 165° f.
These salads are great with the chicken quarters:
- Simple Corn and Marinated Mushroom Salad
- Red Cabbage and Mango Slaw
- Mango Salsa
- All Green Salad with Ham
- Spring Vegetable and Berry Salad