This Red Cabbage and Mango Slaw is a true testament to the saying “less is more”. Just a few simple ingredients bring out so many flavors. It’s sweet, with just a hint of acidity. Crunchy, with a tad of softness. It’s colorful, nutritious, and definitely delicious!
I love this salad for lunch. Just like our Chickpea and Crab Salad, it’s easy to prepare. I usually pair it with meat or fish and enjoy it for lunch.
It’s great for meal prep too! I make a large bowl of it in no time, divide it amongst containers, add chicken or salmon (and sometimes some cooked rice) and my meal is ready for the next few days.
You can also add the slaw on top of a tortilla and some shredded chicken. If you have some leftover roasted chicken, simply break it up with a fork add it on top of a tortilla or inside a pita and top with this Red Cabbage and Mango Slaw. Yum!
All you need for the Red Cabbage and Mango Salad is:
- red cabbage: about 1/2 of a small head red cabbage, or about 4 cups of thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 mango – ripe, but not overripe. Make sure the mango is not too soft to the touch
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- mayonnaise – 1 tablespoon is plenty (add more to taste)
- salt to taste – I added 1 small pinch
- about 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to slice the red cabbage:
So, I’ve tried the red cabbage sliced and diced for this recipe. I’ve even tried to grate it too. I find that the best method is to use a mandolin. Red cabbage is tougher than green and using a mandolin to thinly slice the cabbage is the best way. The cabbage turns out thin enough to be nice and crunchy, but not tough.
Can the Red Cabbage Slaw be made in advance?
Yes, absolutely! It’s best for the salad to absorb the mayo dressing 30 minutes before serving. It can also be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It is ideal though, to serve it within one day.
Try these other cabbage recipes:
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 mango - ripe, but not overripe - diced, pit removed
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt to taste - I added 1 small pinch
- 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Remove the outer layers of the red cabbage and rinse cabbage under running water. Thinly slice the cabbage, leaving out the core. Transfer the sliced red cabbage to a large mixing bowl.
- Dice 1 mango into small pieces and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Chop cilantro and transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl whisk together 1 heaping tablespoon of mayonnaise, salt and 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl and mix well with a fork.
- It's best for the salad to absorb the mayo dressing 30 minutes before serving. It can also be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. It is ideal, though, to serve it within one day.
- Add salt and mayonnaise to taste
- Using a mandolin for thinner cabbage slices is best. You can also slice thinly with a knife. Make sure not to use the shredder; the slaw becomes mushy in texture and more bitter in taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 63Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 1mgSodium 51mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 9gProtein 1g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.