These Healthy Turmeric Oven Roasted Vegetables are a great weeknight side dish! They take little time to prepare and roast quickly in the oven. You’ll have a nutritious side dish in just about 40 minutes.
Turmeric is definitely the key ingredient in the recipe! The pungent and earthy flavor of the turmeric seasoning completely sets the tone for the entire dish. It enhances the flavor of the vegetables and adds a beautiful yellow color, especially to the cauliflower. Just be careful not to stain your clothes because it was, in fact, historically used as a textile and skin dye.
If you have leftovers, the vegetables are great to have for lunch the next day too!
Main Ingredients and their health benefits:
- Sweet potatoes: rich in fiber, vitamins C and B6, and minerals. They are also high in antioxidants and have so many other health benefits, including supporting the immune system and good vision.
- Cauliflower: also high in fiber and B vitamins. Helps reduce blood pressure and the risk of cancer. Just like sweet potatoes, cauliflower also helps support the immune system.
- Zucchini: high in Vitamin A and antioxidants. Zucchini may help with weight loss, can improve heart health, contributes to healthy digestion, and even helps keep thyroid hormone levels stable
- Turmeric: I will definitely be adding more recipes with turmeric after reading about its health benefits! Firstly, it is a natural anti-inflammatory compound. Research also showed improvement in symptoms of depression and Alzheimer’s.
- Garlic: improves the immune system and help fight illness, such as the common cold. It can also help reduce blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels and bone health. There are so many more health benefits!
You can find more detailed information on the health benefits of all the vegetables in the recipe on Healthline.com
Other vegetables you may like to include:
You may like to include one or more of these vegetables as well. In that case, make sure not to overcrowd your pan. If you are adding a large variety of vegetables, use two baking sheets.
- Butternut squash: You can add 1 butternut squash in addition to the sweet potatoes, or as a substitute.
- Brussel sprouts: trim the base of the Brussel sprouts, and slice them in half, lengthwise.
- Carrots: peel 1 or 2 carrots, trim the ends, and dice. Or, you can also grate the carrots if you prefer.
- Broccoli: may be used to substitute for cauliflower, or you may like to add the broccoli florets with the cauliflower.
- Ginger: about 1 tablespoon of grated ginger will add a little more spice to the dish.
How to prepare the Healthy Turmeric Oven Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dice the vegetables on a cutting board and place them in a large mixing bowl. Then add the seasonings and olive oil. Use your hands to toss well.
- Place the seasoned vegetables in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until fork-tender (about 20 minutes), stirring halfway through.
- Transfer the vegetables onto a serving plate and garnish with cilantro or dill – optional.
Tips to make the vegetables more crispy:
- Add cornstarch – about 1 tablespoon per 1 pound of vegetables
- Make sure to pat dry the vegetables after washing
- Spread the vegetables in an even layer, so as not to overcrowd
- You can bake at a slightly higher heat – 450°F for 20 minutes
- Only flip the vegetables once
What to serve with the Healthy Turmeric Oven Roasted Vegetables:
The vegetables are great to serve over rice or polenta.
These quick and simple salads would also be delicious with the vegetable side dish:
- Simple Corn and Marinated Mushroom Salad
- Sweet Carrot Salad Recipe
- Chickpea and Crab Salad
- Cherry Tomato and Asparagus Salad
- Cabbage and Ham Salad