We love this Sausage and Rice Salad! My kids enjoy it as a school lunch. My husband and I also like to prepare it for our lunch at work. I make a large bowl of it for dinner and then we have leftovers for lunch.
It’s just so convenient. Just like our Curried Rice Sautee, it’s all in one bowl. Protein, grains, veggies. Pack it in one container and you’re good to go! Just a quick tip, though – if you are preparing the salad for lunch, omit the onion. You’re welcome, co-workers! 😉
Ingredients for the Sausage and Rice Salad:
- cooked long-grain white rice or brown rice – let the rice cool before mixing with the other salad ingredients.
- fully cooked sausages of your choice, cut into bite-size pieces – any sausage will be great – chicken, turkey pork, vegetarian. To make the salad a little spicy, use spicy sausage instead of the mild ones.
- medium cucumbers
- red bell pepper – for the nice red color
- corn kernels
- red onion – optional
You can also add these to the Sausage and Rice Salad:
- sliced olives – Kalamata olives work great
- canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- canned chickpeas
- some chopped fresh parsley
You might also want to try these all-in-one salads:
- Parmesan pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- Leftover Turkey Salad (with Gnocchi)
- Curried Rice Sautee
- Chicken in Spaghetti Nests
- Sauteed Shrimp and Vegetable Gnocchi
Here’s the full recipe:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, add more to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, add more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice or brown rice, cooled
- 2 fully cooked sausages of your choice, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar or mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss to combine.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Suggested additional ingredients: Sliced Kalamata olives, black beans, chickpeas, celery
- you can make the salad spicier by adding spicy sausage instead of mild
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 302Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 3mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.