This Simple Corn and Marinated Mushroom Salad recipe is another quick and easy salad idea. All you need are just a few simple ingredients. And, it will take you just about 10 minutes to make. Healthy, convenient, and tastes great too!
The marinated mushrooms and the pickles bring out that little bit of sour flavor that tastes amazing with the sweet flavor of corn and that little bit of spice of the red onion. Plus, because the pickles and mushrooms add sour and salty flavors, there is no need to add salt. Like our Citrus Avocado Salad Recipe and Cherry Tomato and Asparagus Salad, it's definitely a great summer recipe, especially if you use freshly grilled corn kernels from the cob!
- Corn: You can use frozen (and thawed), canned, or fresh corn kernels. See more on this in the FAQ section below.
- Pickles: adds a nice sour flavor to the salad
- Marinated mushrooms: I purchase marinated button mushrooms. They are available in a glass jar or canned at any grocery store.
- Red onion: adds a little more color and a tad of spice.
- Mayo: you won't need to add much mayonnaise here. No more than 1 tablespoon. I like using avocado oil mayo. Or, regular mayonnaise works great too.
Substitutions and Variations
You may like to add one or two, or all of the following ingredients:
- Carrot: one grated carrot adds a little more nutrition to the salad, and some extra color.
- Dill: about 1 tablespoon of chopped dill is plenty.
- Scallions (green onion) or chives: 1 to 2 stalks of green onion, or about 7-10 stems of chives.
- Red bell pepper: 1/2 diced red pepper adds more nutrition, and a little more sweetness and color.
- Cilantro: just a handful of chopped cilantro will add a little freshness and citrucy flavor.
First drain canned corn or thaw frozen corn, drain, rinse, and slice the marinated mushrooms, and dice the onion and pickles.
Then transfer all ingredients into a large mixing bowl, add one tablespoon of mayonnaise and toss well to combine. If you like, you can add a little pinch of salt, but I usually don't add any additional salt to the salad because the pickles and the marinated mushrooms add that sour/salty flavor. Sprinkle some chopped chives as an option.
- If you feel the salad needs a little salt, try adding one more diced pickle instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
My go-to for corn salads are frozen corn kernels. I always have a bag of frozen corn in the freezer, so it's that much more convenient. I thaw the corn by placing the kernels in a colander and running cold water over them until thawed. Alternatively, you can place the frozen corn kernels in a small bowl and cover them with boiling water from the kettle. Then let it stand for about 30 seconds and drain.
You may also choose to use canned corn, which I find to be a little sweeter than the frozen corn. Simply drain and rinse before using.
Fresh corn, with kernels cut from the cob is great too. Grilled corn will taste great in the salad as well. Or, you may also like to invest in a cob corn remover if you cook or make other recipes with corn often.
I like to use marinated button mushrooms for this salad because it is the most common mushroom and it has a nice mild taste. But if I happen to have a jar or a can of other mushrooms in my pantry, I will use those. And, they work just as well.
Marinated Cremini, Oyster, Porcino, sliced Portobello, Chanterelle, and even marinated Shiitake mushrooms work great!
Definitely. You can make the salad up to two days ahead. Prepare all the ingredients and store the salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Just make sure not to add the mayonnaise until the salad is ready to be served. Mayonnaise will make the salad runny if you mix it with the pickles and marinated mushrooms.
Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.
Try our other quick and easy salads
Simple Corn and Marinated Mushroom Salad
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 oz. red onion diced
- 3 - 4 medium pickles diced
- 4 oz. marinated button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Place the corn kernels, diced red onion, diced pickles, and sliced marinated mushrooms into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and toss well to combine. Add more pickles and/or sliced mushrooms to taste.
- other ingredients you can add to the salad: 1 grated carrot, 1 to 2 scallions or about 10 chives, a handful of cilantro, 1 tablespoon of dill, 1 diced red bell pepper,
- adding salt is not required because the pickles and marinated mushrooms add the sour/salty flavor-just add more pickles if needed