This Easy Tuna Pâté-Filled Tulips recipe is going to bring the Wow Factor, for sure! Guaranteed! Surprise your mom for Mother’s Day, or your significant other for Valentine’s Day, or simply make it for fun! Make it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s great as a midday snack too. Really, anything works.
I love the pâté on its own as well. I like to double the ingredients in the recipe and use the remaining pate as a vegetable dip or spread it on toast or crackers. Place the pâté in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
The ingredients for the Easy Tuna Pâté-Filled Tulips:
- Canned Tuna: 1 can of tuna in olive oil. If you have tuna in water, drain the tuna and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the tuna when blending
- Cream Cheese: I use the full fat Original Western cream cheese, however, any cream cheese will work, just make sure the cream cheese is not flavored – there are some salmon flavored cream cheeses, jalapeno, or fruit and vegetable flavors that will not work well in the recipe.
- Ground Black Pepper: to enhance the flavor of the dish. Salt is not necessary, but if you like, you can add about 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt.
- Grape Tomatoes: these will be used for the tulips! Red grape tomatoes will work great. For extra color, you can use the multi-colored tomatoes, if they are available at your grocery store.
- Green Onions/Scallions or Chives: these will be our tulip stems. Choose thinner green onions if possible and use the green stem only. Or you may like to use chives instead; they are thinner than green onions and milder in taste.
How to cut the tomatoes for the Easy Tuna Pâté-Filled Tulips:
- Wash and dry the grape tomatoes. Place tomatoes on a cutting board and using a small knife, or a grilling skewer, poke a small hole in the bottom, stem part of the tomato.
- Using a knife cut a cross almost 3/4 of the way down to the stem part.
- Using the tip of a small spoon, or the points of a fruit fork, scoop out the seeds from each grape tomato and discard. The tomatoes are now ready for the tuna pâté filling.
How to prepare and fill the tomato tulips with tuna pâté filling:
- Now that you have your tomato tulips ready, prepare the 3-ingredient tuna pâté:
Using a blender simply blend together the tuna in oil, ground black pepper, and cream cheese until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Next, fill a pastry bag with about 2 tablespoons of the tuna pâté and pipe the pâté into the cut end of each grape tomato.
- Now Insert the scallion or chive into the hole at the bottom of each grape tomato. As you insert the scallion, place each tulip on a large serving platter. Use the remaining pate as a vegetable dip or spread on toast or crackers.