This is a very quick and simple Cod Liver Deviled Eggs recipe! With only four ingredients, it's such an easy dish to make. Serve it as an appetizer, or a side dish. They're even great the next day, as leftovers, for breakfast!
Like our Cinnamon Pineapple and Beef Appetizer and these Sun-Dried Tomato and Mango Crostini, cod liver deviled eggs are always a hit at a dinner party. They dissapear like candy! I like to make sure I make extra just in case I need to refill the plate with more deviled eggs.
Why I love this recipe
- It's super healthy! Omega 3's, antioxidants, vitamins A, C, and D, folate, protein, and so many other nutrients!
- Super easy to prepare, as you'll see below
- Only 4 simple ingredients
- Looks impressive on a dinner party table
- Can be enjoyed as a healthy snack too
Really simple 4 ingredients:
- Eggs: You will need hard-boiled eggs (cooked for about 7-8 minutes) I love Natasha's Kitchen instructions on How to Cook Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs.
- Dill: fresh dill enhances the dish and adds a little color to the deviled eggs.
- Red onion: adds a little more flavor and color. Add as much, or as little as you like. I usually add about 1 tablespoon of chopped red onion, otherwise, the onion taste overtakes all other flavors.
- Cod Liver: Use canned cod liver, in its oil. Cod liver is super healthy. Plus, there is no need to add mayonnaise. This is the one I use:
*** See recipe card below for full ingredient quantities
Substitutions and Variations
- Dill: fresh chopped parsley can be used instead of fresh dill. Chives will also work great.
- Red onion: sweet onion, scallions is a great substitution. I like to use red onion for the nice color balance.
You may like to add one or more of the following:
- Bell pepper: make sure to chop it into really small pieces.
- Corn kernels: defrosted, if from frozen. It will add a little bit of sweetness to the dish.
- Paprika: drizzle some paprika seasoning on top
Please see recipe card below for details on cooking eggs.
Peel hard-boiled eggs and slice them in half, lengthwise.
Scoop out egg yolks from each egg half and add them to a mixing bowl. Add the cod liver and its oil to the egg yolks and mash together until smooth.
Stir in the chopped dill and diced onions.
Pipe or spoon the filling into each egg white half.
To dilute the cod liver taste, you can use half of the can or use 7 - 8 large eggs instead of 5
The Cod Liver filling for the deviled eggs is almost like a pâté. It is so good to spread on a cracker, slice of bread, or baguette. Serve it as a salad. It's a really healthy snack too.
Frequently Asked Questions
The canned Cod liver can be found at any grocery store. You can also purchase it on Amazon.
For sure. You can make the recipe up to 2 days ahead and store it in an airtight container, in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can! Make sure to choose flaked tuna in its own oil.
Try these dinner party favorites
Cod Liver Deviled Eggs
- 5 large eggs hardboiled
- 4.2 oz cod liver in oil - 1 can
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion finely chopped - add more to taste
- Cook the eggs: place 5 large eggs in a pot and completely cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cook the eggs for 7-8 minutes and transfer to an ice water bath or simply drain the hot water and rinse eggs under cold tap water for several minutes, until the eggs have cooled.
- Prepare the eggs: Peel the eggs and, using a sharp knife, cut each egg in half, lengthwise. Using a teaspoon remove the yolk from each egg half and place in a medium mixing bowl. Place the egg white halves onto a serving platter.
- Prepare the filling: Add the canned cod liver and oil to the bowl with the egg yolks and mash the cod liver and yolks with a fork or a potato masher. Add the chopped dill and red onion and mix well to combine.
- Fill eggs whites: pipe or spoon the filling mixture into each egg white half.
- to dilute the cod liver taste, you can use half of the can or use 7 - 8 large eggs instead of 5
- the deviled eggs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.