This All Green Salad with Ham is so crunchy and flavorful. Nutritious too! The green vegetables are loaded with vitamins. The ham adds a little saltiness and smoked flavor to the salad. And, it made and ready to serve in 10 minutes!
Like our Simple Corn and Marinated Mushroom Salad and this Chickpea and Crab Salad I like to make this salad often. It doesn't take long to make and tastes great. For a little more "fanciness", I sometimes substitute the ham for cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp.
Reasons to love this salad:
- It's nutritious: all the green vegetables provide a ton of vitamins and minerals!
- It's quick to make: it takes just about 10 minutes to make the salad! So convenient on a lazy weeknight or a busy weekend.
- Flavorful: juice from the cucumbers and meaty flavor from the ham makes the salad so flavorful!
- Celery: adds crunch! Rich in vitamins A, K, and C and Potassium and Folate minerals. For those who don't like the taste of celery, the thin slices get lost with all other flavors, but the health benefits are still there! I slice each stalk lengthwise and then slice the stalks thinly across. This way the celery pieces are small and mix well with the other ingredients in the salad.
- Cucumber: adds juiciness! And, of course the green color.
- Green Bell Pepper: Adds more crunch, and the green color for the all green salad.
- Dill: Dill is such an aromatic herb; it goes great in this salad. Chop the dill finely. Some like to remove the stems however, I use it all.
- Ham: Using Ham in the salad adds a touch of color and a touch of extra flavor. Maple glazed ham gives the salad a sweeter taste. You can use any ham you like. When I serve this salad at a dinner party, I substitute the ham with medium-size cooked shrimp; it works just as well!
See full ingredient list and quantities in recipe card below
Substitutions and Variations
You may like to add one or more of:
- Broccoli: cut into florets, broccoli will be a great green vegetable addition or substition for another green vegetablle in the ingredient list
- Parsley: will work great instead of fresh dill, or in addition to dill.
- Cilantro: will add a little fresh and citrucy flavor
- Chives: will add very mild onion flavor
- Shrimp: substitute ham for fully cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
- Ham: instead of ham, you can use turkey, chicken, or veal bologna
Add celery, cucumber, green bell pepper, dill, and ham to a mixing bowl.
Add the mayonnaise and sour cream. Add salt if required - I usually don't add salt. Toss well to combine
- Cut the vegetables and ham into small, uniform, pieces. This way you will have every ingredient in each bite.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can buy the cooked, peeled, deveined, tail-off shrimp! Use small shrimp, so they mix in well with the rest of the ingredients. The salad is great with shrimp.
Store leftovers in a container, in the refrigerator. Because the mayo has been added, make sure to eat the leftover salad within 2-3 days.
Yes! That's the beauty of it. You can slice and dice all ingredients up to two days ahead. Just don't add the mayo and leave the cucumbers out until ready to serve. The cucumbers will release liquid. You can slice them, but keep them separate from the other salad ingredients.
Serve the salad at room temperature or chilled from the refrigerator.
It's great served for dinner with this Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Recipe or this Curried Rice Sautee. If you're looking for a great, simple appetizer to serve with the salad, this Caprese Salad With Microgreens or these Cod Liver Deviled Eggs are a must-try!
Try these other great salads:
All Green Salad with Ham
This All Green Salad with Ham is so crunchy and flavorful. Nutritious too! The green vegetables are loaded with vitamins. The ham adds a little saltiness and smoked flavor to the salad. Yum!
- 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 200 gm. ham cubed
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- salt to taste (optional)
- Add celery, cucumber, green bell pepper, dill, and ham to a mixing bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and sour cream. Add salt if required - I usually don't add salt.
- Toss well to combine.