Your guests are going to love this tender and juicy Cinnamon Pineapple and Beef Appetizer. The beef tenderizes beautifully in the natural pineapple juices. The cinnamon adds a gentle aroma and subtle richness.
- 1/2 whole fresh pineapple
- 25 stewing beef cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 25 fresh mint leaves (or fresh basil leaves)
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pineapple and stewing beef chunks into bite-size pieces (about 1-inch) and transfer them into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1/3 cup of brown sugar and stir well to combine. I usually like to use my hands to stir everything together. If time allows, marinate the meat with the pineapples (covered) in the refrigerator (in a glass or plastic container) for at least 30 minutes, ideally for 1 hour. This will allow the meat to tenderize a little more before cooking.
- Thread the beef and the pineapple chunks onto separate skewers, reserving the marinade that’s left over in the bowl. Don’t place the pieces too tightly together so they can cook evenly.
- Heat barbecue (or if using a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil) over high heat. When heated, cook skewers for 3 minutes on one side, then flip the skewers over and cook for another 3 minutes, basting with the reserved marinade. The internal temperature of the beef should reach 145°F. Transfer skewers onto a plate and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.
- To plate the mini skewers, thread one pineapple piece through one toothpick or mini bamboo skewer, then thread 1 folded in half fresh basil or mint leaf, then thread one barbecued beef piece. Repeat with the remaining toothpicks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- When marinating beef with pineapple, it’s best not to use metal containers. Use glass or plastic containers instead.
- If you’ve made extra pineapple and beef chunks, you can place the “unskewered” pieces around the plate and garnish with some fresh mint or basil. Your guests may like/prefer to take individual pieces.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 6
- Category: appetizer
- Method: Barbecue
- Cuisine: Brazilian inspired
Keywords: skewers, beef, appetizer, bbq